- 2 1/2 cups (375g) hazelnuts, toasted and peeled*
- 6 ounces (170g) 100% dark chocolate
- 1/3 cup (64g) coconut oil, solid
- 1/3 cup (75g) full-fat coconut milk, (or heavy cream)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons (190g) maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon hazelnut extract, or hazelnut liqueur
- 1 teaspoon ground vanilla bean powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine Himalayan salt
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- Chocolate Fudge Topping (see recipe bellow)
- 1/3 cup hazelnuts
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare your pan by greasing the bottom and sides of a round or square 8-inch pan with coconut oil. Line the bottom of the pan with a piece of parchment paper so the cake is easy to remove later.
Melt the chocolate and coconut oil together in a large bowl over simmering water (double boiler). After melted, stir in the coconut milk until combined. Remove bowl from the heat and stir in the maple syrup, hazelnut extract, vanilla, and salt.
Using a food processor, grind the hazelnuts until finely ground. Then using a spatula, mix the meal with the chocolate mixture in the bowl.
In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with a handheld or stand mixer for a couple of minutes until fluffy and they double in volume. Then using a spatula, gently mix the eggs into the chocolate/hazelnut mixture until everything is combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and wrap the sides of the pan with aluminum foil. Place the pan in a deep baking dish and fill it halfway with hot water. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Be sure to not over bake it. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for a few minutes then place it in a serving plate and top it with the Chocolate Fudge sauce and chopped hazelnuts. Store pie in the fridge – it will last for about 2 weeks.
– Vanilla extract, or the seeds from a vanilla bean work as well in place of the ground vanilla powder.
– Be sure to finely grind your hazelnuts or your cake will crumble after baked.
P.S. Nutrition facts calculated without the Chocolate Fudge Topping.
Nutrition Facts per serving
Ingredients for Chocolate Fudge Topping
- 3 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened 100% dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 2 1/2 tablespoons raw honey
- 2 1/2 tablespoons full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
melt the chocolate in a double boiler over simmering water
after the chocolate has melted, stir the cacao powder, honey, coconut milk, vanilla and salt. You will be left with a thick and creamy hot chocolate fudge.
let it cool for 5 minutes and pour on top of your ice cream